Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Richard Henry Richard Henry is offline

Default How have you customized your life -- electronically?

On Apr 21, 10:09 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On 21 Apr 2007 08:37:17 -0700, Richard Henry
wrote:

On Apr 19, 9:05 pm, DaveC wrote:
One regular poster here has designed a microcontroller-based, networked (
(remotely accessible), whole-home climate control monitoring system
(heating-AC/hot h2o/heat exchangers/the whole works). Others have modified
their digital toaster (I'm not mentioning names... (c: )

How has your profession (or hobby) leaked into your everyday life? What
customizations or applications have you put electronics to that makes your
life easier and/or more fun?

I have installed two Radio Shack motion detector light systems, one
over the garage door and one to replace the front entry light.

I have an unfinished project (waiting for my next retirement, layoff,
or firing) to build a PIC-based lawn sprinkler controller that will
link to a PC by some means (USB, serial port, wireless) and allow me
to set watering schedules by a graphical calendar program running in
the PC.

Our garden has a drip system with one 24 volt solenoid valve wired to
a hand-twist mechanical timer switch. It takes about 400 milliseconds
to give it a twist and get it going; twist harder if you want more
water. No programming, and it's been absolutely reliable for about 10
years now.

John- Hide quoted text -

My "new" (it replaced the 2 80's-vintage 6-station controllers that
came with the house and never worked reliably) 12-station controller
is now in the "Off" position, where it will be for about a week since
we are having a rainy weekend.