Keith Marshall

Default Lifting a 900lb mill without a hoist

Yeah, probably. Why did you even post this?

To offer food for thought.

BTW, who said anything about a 2x4 truss? It was a 2x8 rafter and I placed
the comealong near the end support, a block wall, and reinforced it on the
other side of the comealong with a length of 2" square steel tubing between
it and the floor.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Jim Kovar" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I've used a comealong [sp?] like this:

http://www.centralonlinesales.com/sh...uct.asp?ID=440

to lift a 500 lb combination sheetmetal machine onto a stand. I hooked

it
over a rafter in my garage near a supported end but 900 lb is probably a

bit
much for that.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Yeah, probably. Why did you even post this? Hanging 900 pounds from
the bottom cord of a 2X4 truss or rafter is *really* asking for trouble.
What you do in your own garage is your business, but hanging almost a
half ton with a come along from a garage rafter is the dumbest thing
I've heard of in quite awhile. Rafters and trusses are built for a TOP
load, not a bottom one.