Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default DIY Fountain!!

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:18:38 UTC, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:27:08 UTC, Richard wrote:

The problem I have is that the pipe is an old lead one and it is 21mm
in diameter it also has thick walls of about 3mm. I tried to put a
22mm end stop on it which held for a while with some PTFE tape but the
pressure build up caused it to blow off the end quite spectacularly.
At the moment I have a great water feature but I need some help
stopping it!

Can anyone identify this kind of pipe and where I can get an end stop
for it from?

Quick fix...go to the plumbers merchant, tell them the size of the pipe,
and ask for a Johnson coupling. This fits a range of sizes (within
limits) and you can put a bit of end-stopped 22mm copper in the other
end.

Even quicker fix ... flatten end of lead pipe with hammer, bend it over and
flatten again .... used to be fairly common way of temp stopping off lead
pipes.

I only mentioned that because someone else had tried that solution and
failed....!

http://www.diybanter.com