Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default UnderCounter Lights

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 01:51:06 GMT, shepro wrote:

Could someone please explain pro's and cons of both Halogen and Florescent
lights.And which is prefered.
Thanks

On the plus side, fluorescents are more energy efficient, cooler
running and provide much longer service life. They're also available
in a wide range of colour temperatures (e.g., 3000K, 4,100K, 5000K,
etc.) which, depending upon your decor and personal tastes, could be
another plus. Linear fluorescents distribute light over a wider area
and this light is soft and diffuse, so there are no harsh shadows (an
important consideration when you're working with knives and other
potentially dangerous instruments). And if you prefer a lot of light,
they're the only game in town.

Halogens offer a pleasant, warm light and superior colour rendering.
They also provide more punch and sparkle, and a little more visual
interest due to their higher contrast ratios (shadowing).

I opted for low profile T4 fluorescents because they're four to five
times more energy efficient and because I prefer a lot of working
light. These particular lamps have a high CRI (colour rendering
index) of 86 and a colour temperature of 3,200K (just slighting above
that of halogen); Overall, I'm pleased with my choice.

There is, however, one notable drawback. I have highly polished
granite countertops and the bright reflections given off by these
lamps detract from its overall appearance. My sense is that the
reflections generated by smaller halogen pucks wouldn't be quite as
noticeable (or objectionable).

Cheers,
Paul