Posted to rec.woodworking
JWBH JWBH is offline

Default PVA waterproof adhesive on MDF

Have a piece of oak veneered mdf that i wish to use to make a shelf along
side the bath.

The oak veneer does not cover all the edges, so my plan is to seal the edges
and to then use a ronseal quick drying water based matt varnish to paint
the whole thing.

I can see that PVA is often advertised for use as a sealant. A little while
ago I bought a tub of Wickes PVA water proof adhesive. It says not to glue
two non porous materials that is subjected to wet. As an experiement I
found soaking things with water makes the adhesive go soft again and come
adrift.

So is this 'so called' waterproof adhesive suitable as a sealant on this mdf
please. Or is PVA waterproof adhesive essentially different from PVA
sealant and so not suitable to seal the mdf. thanks