Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default fuel oil leak/smell

On Apr 9, 3:27 pm, "Paul Flansburg"
wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:49 am, mm wrote:

Interesting problem. You need to find the source of the leak and fix
it if you haven't already. You also need to be careful about WHO you
invite into your house and also talk to about this. The EPA just
LOVES to come to houses when you have leaks associated with hazardous
material. Clean-up cost could run you alot of dollars.

-paul

Well the problem was bigger than I thought. Much bigger. I needed to
get it cleaned up by professionals, and they wouldn't touch it without
the proper authorities being notified. But that wasnt EPA, it was a
state agency.

Warning to anyone who uses fuel oil: Check with your state to find out
if they will clean up a spill if you have one like mine. Then get rid
of fuel oil ASAP! No home insurance policy will cover pollution or
chemical contamination. So if oil leaks and ruins your house interior
or the soil underneath it, you are screwed. It could render your
property worthless. I am lucky, my state is going to pay for most or
all of the cleanup and its going to be very expensive-well over
$10,000. Hopefully most states will do likewise, but I would check if
I were you.
Even after cleanup you could be left with property that nobody will
buy.

I will never use fuel oil again!