Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default New Shed Wiring

Doug Miller wrote:

In article 70f322fd8e6a0@uwe, "Afubar via HomeKB.com" u33477@uwe wrote:
Hang on, before you guys get all upset, from what I can tell, what he buried
was romex.

If it was romex, then you really should pull it out and have it redone
properly. Romex is neither permitted, nor safe, for underground use. You need
Type UF (Underground Feeder) cable for this application.

[snip]
So, Please, I'm willing to learn, teach me.

OK, well -- you need a 4-wire UF cable, sized to the total load, and an
appropriate double-pole circuit breaker. Or bury a conduit, and pull four THHN
or THWN wires of the appropriate size.

One way or another, you need four wires.

--
Regards,

Important to note that at first glance type UF cable looks a lot like
type NM cable a.k.a. Romex. Best to read the printing on it to see what
it really is. Also important to know the gauge wire since if you want a
subpanel you probably need a heavier gauge wire such as 10ga to make it
worthwhile.

My recommendation is to replace the wire with a run of PVC conduit
(cheap stuff) and pull new THHN wire of a suitable gauge such as 10ga
(possibly 8ga if it's a long run) so you can install a 30A six space
subpanel (also cheap) in the shed to feed the well pump, lighting and
utility circuits.