Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
ehsjr ehsjr is offline

Default How have you customized your life -- electronically?

DaveC wrote:
One regular poster here has designed a microcontroller-based, networked (
(remotely accessible), whole-home climate control monitoring system
(heating-AC/hot h2o/heat exchangers/the whole works). Others have modified
their digital toaster (I'm not mentioning names... (c: )

How has your profession (or hobby) leaked into your everyday life? What
customizations or applications have you put electronics to that makes your
life easier and/or more fun?

Three "mandatories":
Remote controlled motor driven window opener/closer for a
window that is very difficult to reach, remote control for
whole house fan, filters for supply to motion sensor light.
(The damn thing, once installed, prevented my X-10 system
from working, until I made the filter. Same thing happened
when I plugged in a rechargeable tooth brush. Go figure.
If you have one, drag an AM radio close to it while it's
charging - lots of noise.)

Why do they call it man-datory when it's the wife that
makes it so? :-)

Ed