Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default "New" design

On 19 Apr 2007 12:52:52 -0700, Kevin wrote:

I placed new is quotes as it's pretty much my belief that there is
very little that is really new in forms and such as far as bowls go
but I do have a question/request.

Has anyone here any examples of a bowl with the standard interior
(round) but a non-round exterior? perhaps an octagon, a square,
pentagon on the outside? I do believe sanding would be more of an
effort than the standard round exterior but the payoff in appearence
may well be worth it.

I have one, but no camera (I tend to have bad luck with them!) The
bowl in question was turned round by me, and my wife sanded it 8 or
twelve sides into it with my belt sander, and then used a dremel to
make smaller facets surrounding those.

It looks okay. With some care, something like that could be really
great (in this case, I don't feel that she really took the sanding far
enough- but it was her project, so it is what it is!)