Posted to rec.woodworking
SWDeveloper SWDeveloper is offline

Default Safety issues of wearing gloves when using power tools?

On 19 Apr 2007 16:20:25 -0700, Charlie Self
wrote:

On Apr 19, 5:14?pm, jtpr wrote:
On Apr 19, 4:58 pm, FoggyTown wrote:

There are times when I wear "gloves" to do some tasks. find that
wearing tight latex gloves can offer a better grip on some wood and
tools. think grip is important when feeding stock into a bench
planer, TS, bench router, etc. atex gloves still leave you a "feel"
and are thin enough so that if there is a chance of some bit being
caught up, it should rip through without pulling your hand in.

FoggyTown

While I agree that I wouldn't wear gloves for all the reasons
mentioned. was just reading a mag, might have been FW, and they
show somebody wearing gloves using the TS. hey even pointed out that
they lessened the chance of kickback due to slippage.

As I said, I wouldn't $o it.

-Jim

LOL. When I've gotten kickback, the only "slippage" was between my
ears. Slippage. That's pure nonsense. Featherboards and push sticks,
not gloves.

I agree. Plus, working with an alert and clear mind will help
question procedures that can be done in a safer manner.