Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
jcomeau_ictx jcomeau_ictx is offline

Default How have you customized your life -- electronically?

On Apr 19, 10:05 pm, DaveC wrote:
One regular poster here has designed a microcontroller-based, networked (
(remotely accessible), whole-home climate control monitoring system
(heating-AC/hot h2o/heat exchangers/the whole works). Others have modified
their digital toaster (I'm not mentioning names... (c: )

How has your profession (or hobby) leaked into your everyday life? What
customizations or applications have you put electronics to that makes your
life easier and/or more fun?

Like Long Ranger, I live off-grid, and anything at my place has to be
low-wattage. I'm working right now on programming devices to (1) run
my 12V beer cooler only when the voltage is above some safe setpoint,
say 12.2; pump the water for my indoor garden when the sensor is dry;
flash the (homemade LED) rope light to indicate my shebeen is open,
stuff like that. I've got a Picstart 2 and Futurlec ATTINY2313
development boards, and an ARM board from Coridium on order, not sure
which one will end up being the best choice. They're all way overkill,
really, but they offer the possibility of remote access which is nice.