Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Replacing al wiring.

According to dpb :
On Apr 17, 5:41 pm, Dom wrote:
On Apr 17, 4:57 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:

You can use the junction boxes as you'd like, however, routing wiring
and boxes in an attic can be tricky w.r.t. codes - so, you need to stop
what you're doing and go to the store and buy a copy of the "Orange book".

The orange book is "Ontario Electrical Code Simplified" by PS Knight.
It's cheap (should still be $15), and will answer your questions in this
regard. Most hardware and big box DIY stores carry it (like Home Hardware,
Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona, Beaver, etc)

BTW: In Canada, house wiring has always comes with a ground since the
late 50's or so. Hence, "14/2 house" wire that you buy is _always_ two
insulated conductors and a ground. You don't have to specify "with
ground" when you buy it. With stranded wire cord tho, you do ;-)

Thanks again Chris,

I will look into that book for sure.
I'm 99.9% positive its al as it metallic silver in colour and very
easy to break by twisting.
What do you mean by w.r.t codes. Did a google search on it but did not
come up with anything in context. What did you have in mind when you
said tricky?
Lastly I have heard there is new codes in the making, have you heard
anything about it?

Codes are revised every couple of years. So there's always a new
one in the making. When you buy your copy of the orange book,
it'll say which revision of the CEC it corresponds to. If the orange
book date _itself_ is less than 2-3 years old, you have the right one.

If it's like NEC (which I suspect it is), I presume Chris is thinking
of the accessibility rules on exposed cabling (he can obviously
correct/amplify if I'm guessing wrong). The definition of what
constitutes "access" and "use" is such that even if all there is is a
trap door w/ a ladder and you go up there once a year for storage,
strictly speaking there should be no exposed wiring but all protected.

It's not so much accessibility of J-boxes (which is required of course),

with more than, er, 1M (~39") I think of headroom, because they're a
snag hazard. There's other stuff about headroom, etc. Most of these
rules are similar to the NEC, but the details are different.

The rules aren't onerous, and inspectors do give some leeway,
the book will help him understand the simple rules he should follow
about wire and box placement.

His suggestion for a "Wiring Simplified" CN equivalent and reading it
through is an _most_excellent_ recommendation. Sorry I wasn't the one
who made it (altho I don't know the specific one for you, anyway).

P.S. Knight's books are somewhat unique.

In both the US and Canada, there's an official national code (US:
NEC, Canada: CSA CEC), and usually it's adopted and amended somewhat
for each state (or province), and municipality.

Most of the "Wiring Simplified" books in the US and Canada are
generalized books that don't get into fine detail, make no allowance for
regional variation, and may be based on codes that are years out of
date. In some cases, following these books to the letter will be wrong
for your location, and to be 100% accurate you have to either have
the real code on hand ($$$), or ask an inspector a lot of questions.

P.S. Knight, on the other hand, publishes what is defacto
the official "electrician's training manual" for Canada, with
different versions for each provincial code, and is updated
in full synchronization with the code revisions. The DIY book
I'm recommending is similar - each province has a different version,
and it's updated in sync with the corresponding official code.

For a Canadian who is asking basic questions, you can _never_ be
wrong recommending the PS Knight "Electrical Code Simplified"
(ECS) book that they can obtain in most hardware/DIY stores in
their province.

As the ECS obsoletes fast (every 3-5 years), it's produced cheaply,
uses hand-drawn (kinda primitive ;-) diagrams and is quite inexpensive.
It doesn't have fancy binding or extensive color photos of each motion
needed to twist two wires together. It won't win any design awards.

It's a cheaply produced paperback book full of scribbles.

Until the last edition it looked _almost_ like it was done with
a manual typewriter in bad need of readjustment, primitive
charcoal cave drawings, and photocopied ;-) But it has always
answered all the code questions, makes suggestions on (legal)
short cuts and has other hints and tricks. Even a bit of humor.
_Very_ well written for the beginner.

If the person needs basic skill or design handholding, they need one
of the pretty books. [The Reader's Digest DIY book is my favorite]

You can also recommend the Electrical Wiring FAQ, noting the
caveat that it is somewhat out of date.
--
Chris Lewis,