Posted to alt.home.repair
Afubar via HomeKB.com Afubar via HomeKB.com is offline

Default New Shed Wiring

Thanks, I'm positive that the pump is 220. Here's the story, the orignal
structure on the property burned to the ground 5 years ago. At the time, the
well was wired into the breaker box in the house. When the house went, all
power to the well went, no water to fight the fire. So when I had the
doublewide set up, I had a friend run the electric straight from the box on
the pole to the well. The breaker box has a double pull dedicated to that
wire alone. I know the pump at one time was set up for 120 but was switched
over when contruction was final. Like an idiot, I let a friend run the wire,
thinking he knew what he was doing, I was wrong. So what I now have is a
cable with 3 wires buried under the ground to the well, what I want is to be
able to put a sub-panel into the shed above the well for lights and outlets.
How can I best accomplish this without burying more wire.

Toller wrote:
HI, I just built an 8x12 shed over my well. The well had an existing A
frame

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
110 power to shed? All I'm looking at is a couple of lights, a couple of
plugs for minor tool usage.

By "3 wires" you mean two hots and a ground? Then no, you can't do it
legally.
Running a neutral wire would, if nothing perverse ever happens, be safe; but
since code watches out for perverse happenings, it wouldn't be legal.

You might want to check the voltage to be sure. My pump is 120v. Shouldn't
be; the voltage drop is murder, but it is.

You could wire up 240v lights, but that wouldn't help you with the tool
usage.

And before you do anything; make sure you have adequate capacity to add
lights. If you are marginal now, the pump won't like sharing.