Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default "New" design

"Kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I placed new is quotes as it's pretty much my belief that there is
very little that is really new in forms and such as far as bowls go
but I do have a question/request.

Has anyone here any examples of a bowl with the standard interior
(round) but a non-round exterior? perhaps an octagon, a square,
pentagon on the outside? I do believe sanding would be more of an
effort than the standard round exterior but the payoff in appearence
may well be worth it.
Just looking for pics and suggestions.
Thanks,
-Kevin

All kinds of things similar. Search other woodturning forums which allow
pictures for inspiration. Believe the current terminology is "winged"
bowls, though you might find other square things which strike your fancy.
This guy does 'em the way I do, or vice-versa.
http://bobhamswwing.homestead.com/liddedbowl.html

You will have to be careful with any interrupted-edge piece to avoid the
edges. I put dark behind light, light behind dark to keep an eye on the
ghosts.