Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Walnut Oil with Vitamin E

wrote:
m.

PS -- I am in full agreement to skip the walnut oil with anti-oxidants
added -- the walnut oil needs to oxidize.
--http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

I was suspicious when I read George's post, as he usually doesn't
miss. That's why I didn't really sound off. HE WAS KIDDING. The
antioxidants properties in vitamin E work only upon live, organic
organims. Here is how vitamin E is used:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002406.htm

snip
BTW, further reading of the benefits of vitamin E as an emolient seem
to be no better than any other oil as when it isn't directly ingested
as to flow into the bloodstream it cannot function as a killer of free
radicals.

Robert

Actually I had in mind the calcium propionate, which is, I believe added
to improve product stability in the bottle.

At any rate, I've had reasonable success using walnut oil on my pens. I
apply it generously, wipe the excess and then go straight to CA without
waiting for the oil to dry. Overnight is the most it ever gets and I
actually think that I get better results if I apply the CA immediately.

YMMV, void where prohibited, and so on.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000734-3, 04/19/2007
Tested on: 4/19/2007 9:06:16 AM