Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hot water, trying to save money

On 19 Apr, 10:50, "Tracy" wrote:

Hi I have gas heating my hot water cylinder and use approx 22KW of gas per
day for this. Is this about normal for four 5min power showers per day plus
hot water for hand washing and dish washing etc? It works out about £3.75
per week as I pay a higher rate for the first 1465KW per quarter, so in the
summer my gas costs me more than the winter because I use less of it

The hot water is a Johnson & Starley Janus system that is always on as there
is no convenient way to turn it off

My hot water cylinder is foam coated plus it has an additional cylinder
jacket and all the hot pipes have a foam type of insulation.

So any suggestions as to how I can save more money on my gas?
Regards, Tracy

I'm not sure what you mean by cant turn the hw off, are there really
no controls anywhere?

The one obvious thing is turning the power shower pump either right
down or off.

There are also less easy options, but I doubt worth the hassle. Stuff
like drain heat exchangers, solar hw...

NT