Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robert Laws Robert Laws is offline

Default DIY Fountain!!

On Apr 19, 8:51 am, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

ups.com...

All

I had a pipe sticking out of my lawn at the back of my garden just
near my stone wall. It's about 5ft in height and I think it used to
feed an outdoor toilet or something. Anyway I was cutting the lawn
earlier and managed to knock it and soon after saw water coming out of
the grass!!! I had always thought it would of been disconnected. I
turned off the mains outside and dug around the pipe and found a
corroded tap buried and a split in the pipe.

The problem I have is that the pipe is an old lead one and it is 21mm
in diameter it also has thick walls of about 3mm. I tried to put a
22mm end stop on it which held for a while with some PTFE tape but the
pressure build up caused it to blow off the end quite spectacularly.
At the moment I have a great water feature but I need some help
stopping it!

Big hammer and something to use as an anvil - a big flat stone or a large
block of wood will do. Flatten the pipe really well over about a foot. Fold
it back on itself about 3" and hammer flat again. Fold that tightly around
the end and hammer flat again. Finally fold again around the first bend and
hammer flat once more. That held a water pipe in our kitchen in London for
at least ten years. Don't know if it failed after we left, but ten years
isn't bad for a temporary fix.

Colin Bignell- Hide quoted text -

if they ever do fit a meter it might be worth checking whether it
comes off the main upstream or downstream of the meter.

Robert