Posted to alt.home.repair
DaveR DaveR is offline

Default Standing Water Despite Sump Pump

What would cause certain parts of the basement floor to get puddles of
water, even though a sump pump is installed and working?

I have a sump pump in my crawlspace. It runs during heavy rains (and
for several days thereafter). Most of the time I have no problems with
water in my basement.

When it rains a lot in a short period of time I will get some puddles,
apparently ground water coming up through the floor. One such puddle
is in the crawlspace about 10 feet away from the pump. Another is in
the laundry room, about 20 feet away in the opposite direction. Most
of the time these puddles drain quickly after the storm.

However, during the recent event (which granted is a ridiculous amount
of rain in a short time) I got puddles in many areas of the basement.
In some areas the puddles are still there, even though the sump pump
has been running constantly.

I assume the purpose of the sump pump is to prevent this situation, so
what more do I need? I realize this past storm was a freak of nature
and almost everyone had water problems. Still, it is my understanding
the sump pump should pump out the water before it reaches the floor.

Is it simply a matter of making sure to address the drainage outside?
I have the ground sloping away from the house in all directions and
the leaders extend 6 feet or more.