Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Grex P635 Pinner first impressions

On Apr 18, 1:53 pm, "
wrote:

I wouldn't get insulted about B&D and Skil. They served their purpose
- they are and have been homeowner-once-a-month-project-plastic tools
for almost as long as I can remember. They guy that live across the
street from me uses his cordless every few months for about 20 - 30
minutes. And he doesn't want to spend $200 - $300 on a drill.

Yabbut...yabbut... they're doing that with a reputation that still
lingers from the days when it meant something.
They're not living up to that reputation.
Like my ex-BIL said: " That's right, this is not my father Oldsmobile
*pointing at his* "This is a piece of crap"

The quality of "professional" tools sold now have been cheapened to
the point that they are actually the "homeowners" quality of years
ago. I hate that. Even when I buy a tool for a fair amount of money,
there is no joy, no satisfaction of knowing that I will have those
tools happily working on site for years.

But when I bought the Milwaukee equipment, I knew that I was "set", at
least for a while.

IMHO, they're still a cut above the rest. Maybe I'm just lucky with
the Milwaukee stuff I own.
After 6 years of use/abuse, the batteries on my 14.4 Milwaukee drill
finally **** the bed. Before I ordered new ones, I decided to pull the
drill apart to see if it was worth it. All looks pretty good to me in
there.

And what completely ****es me off is that some kinds of tools just
aren't available in quality anymore. NO MATTER what you pay for
them. We used to have a couple of suppliers here in town that carried
specific brands of tools for specific trades. You could go in a
marvel at the old turret topped Rockwell saws (still have my old 346)
and routers, the Millers Falls upper end drills and power saws, and
really nice tools by Blue Grass and Stanley. No more.

Fein and Festool, some AEG and Metabo and most of the Milwaukee gear
is still pretty good. I have heard nothing but horror stories about
DeWalts..with the odd exception.
These folks make a nice router:
http://www.granquartz.com/products.aspx?category=3
I kid.

I find myself looking for a specific model, not brand
specific.

I hear that. That's how I ended up with Fein and Festool gear. Got
sick of buying crap.

I like my 2 1/2 hp PC router, but hated the circular saw so much I
took it back.

What? You don't like flex-shoes?..LOL..
Looked like a good saw... Mine has been retired to cutting up 12-foot
shipping pallets.

So I am glad when a guy like Leon takes a minute to post something
like his Grex review, and others here comment on it. I tuck those
things away - it is like finding a gold nugget in the ocean to have a
tool at any price live up to expectations.

Yup, there's gold in these here posts. I'm quite enjoying Charlieb's
Domino reports.

Off the box now.

r-----steals Robert's box.