Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Run versus Start Capacitors - How to tell

"stoneattic" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 11:20 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
stoneattic wrote:
I have a 9" Craftsman (Sears) drill press that just smoked the motor
capacitor. I call Sears about a replacement and they want to sell me
the whole motor (of course). I'm trying to replace just the
capacitor but I don't know if it's a run or start. Here's what
labeled on the cap:

CBB60 SH
16mF +/- 5%
-25/70C
250VAC
50//60Hz
Wenling Star &Fire Capacitors Factory
E215152

The model of the drill is 137.219090 if that helps

How can I determine if it's a run or start cap?

thx

Hi,
There is no run or start specific caps. It depends where in the circuit.
Just get a same spec. cap. If you can't match it little bigger value is
OK on capacitance and voltage.

Thanks guys!
I'm having a tough time locating a replacement locally. The only two
places that I'm aware in the area are Grainger and Johnstone Supply
and neither seem to have any 250VAC or 16mf. Are you aware of any
online sources? My Google searches have so far yielded no luck.

Try looking for a motor repair shop (or electric motor repair) in your phone
book. They may only charge a few bucks to fix it.