Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Walnut Oil with Vitamin E

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 18, 5:22 am, "George" wrote:

Don't know how to put tongue in cheek in chatroom-ese. Nonetheless,
having
bought some with calcium propionate or some such in it on the store
shelves,
I learned that oxidation is what others call "spoilage." Never cured.

Should have known you were funnin'. I am bad about not putting the
smiley faced winks at the end of mine, too.

And those oils NEVER will cure, either. Nothing in there to make them
cure.

Yep, those commercials that promise smooth ageless young skin from topical
vitamin E keep me laughing. FWIW, walnut oil warmed in the sun will cure to
the touch in about three days when things are fairly dry. You can peel it
off the surface and discover it's tacky underneath, but it does work well
for medium coloration and a bit of water resistance. Linseed can be
boiled, as in having oxygen bubbled through it (at 20%) until it actually
begins to gel.

As to what BLO is, it's Linseed - flax - from which linen is made. I
remember the beautiful fields of flax in North Dakota from back when. Then
there's the flexible gel version used with canvas to make linoleum, a
flexible, durable floor covering.