Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Walnut Oil with Vitamin E

On Apr 18, 5:22 am, "George" wrote:

Don't know how to put tongue in cheek in chatroom-ese. Nonetheless, having
bought some with calcium propionate or some such in it on the store shelves,
I learned that oxidation is what others call "spoilage." Never cured.

Should have known you were funnin'. I am bad about not putting the
smiley faced winks at the end of mine, too.

And those oils NEVER will cure, either. Nothing in there to make them
cure.

I may or may not be correct in assuming that someone is trying to
mimic Mike Mahoney's Walnut oil finish, but the stuff at Walgreens or
at your local supermarket won't do it.

I remember a group conversation with Stuart Batty (pretty sure it was
him) when he was down here on a demo, and he said that he though they
heat treated Mike's walnut oil he sells in a very specific way, and
only add one ingredient of some sort to make his product cure.

And by the way for anyone still following this thread, Boiled Linseed
Oil isn't actually boiled. Like most tung oil, it is infused with
metallic dryers that cause it to cure. And like most finishes, both
these oil products are not used in the kitchen as cooking ingredients,
and are sold as products, not a ingredients. Kinda of like saying you
want a "Coke" when you want some kind of carbonated drink. So you can
never be 100% sure exactly what the ingredients are, or their
percentages.

Robert