Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterK PeterK is offline

Default DIY Fountain!!

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
All

I had a pipe sticking out of my lawn at the back of my garden just
near my stone wall. It's about 5ft in height and I think it used to
feed an outdoor toilet or something. Anyway I was cutting the lawn
earlier and managed to knock it and soon after saw water coming out of
the grass!!! I had always thought it would of been disconnected. I
turned off the mains outside and dug around the pipe and found a
corroded tap buried and a split in the pipe.

The problem I have is that the pipe is an old lead one and it is 21mm
in diameter it also has thick walls of about 3mm. I tried to put a
22mm end stop on it which held for a while with some PTFE tape but the
pressure build up caused it to blow off the end quite spectacularly.
At the moment I have a great water feature but I need some help
stopping it!

Can anyone identify this kind of pipe and where I can get an end stop
for it from?

Good job I'm not on a water meter!

Cheers

Richard

In my youth I was taught how to solder lead and AFAIK the crucial thing is
to get the correct grade of solder - low melting point. I don't think doing
in a hole on the garden is a good place to start to learn.
A quick search finds "Talbot Grippa is a universal fitting that connects
onto a wide variety of existing lead, galvanised iron and copper pipe with
just one set of internal components. The range consists of three fittings
which together suit all metal pipes with an outside diameter of 15mm (3/8")
to 34mm (3/4") including the different weights of lead pipe " see
http://www.tycowaterworks.co.uk/talb...226&Dept_ID=61 .

If their claims of its simplicity are true then it looks like a stop end or
new garden tap can be installed with little effort. I presume there is no
trace of the start of this pipe in your house - where I'd want to isolate
it.

PeterK