Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Secondary glazed windows

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:27:19 GMT Terry D wrote :
Instead of replacing the whole lot with PVC double glazed units, would it
be feasible to simply replace the wooden frames with either wood or PVC
single glazed windows, retaining the inner dual glazing, hopefully without
disturbing it. This presumably would be much cheaper and also the
soundproofing is excellent due to the 100mm gap between panes.

Legally no, because the new windows would be subject to Part L and not reach
the required U-value, even with the secondary glazing.

I take issue with that statement on three counts.

Firstly, I would say that they would reach the U value, and secondly,
there is still no absolute requirement in the building regulations that
windows SHOULD have a specific U value, merely a recommendation and a
requirement for OVERALL insulation levels, and thirdly repairs are NOT
subject to FULL building control regulation: 'Like with like and at
least no worse' is the rule IIRC..

And I don't know
whether the average PVC window firm stocks the correct glazing beads for
single glazing.

Where did PVC come from? he was talking having new wood frames made..