Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry D Terry D is offline

Default Secondary glazed windows

wrote:
On 18 Apr, 10:27, "Terry D" wrote:

Six windows of my house are fitted with Everest secondary units,
still in excellent condition after over 20 years. However, the
wooden window frames are now deteriorating.

because of the secondary glazing.

Instead of replacing the whole lot with PVC double glazed units,
would it be feasible to simply replace the wooden frames with either
wood or PVC single glazed windows, retaining the inner dual glazing,
hopefully without disturbing it. This presumably would be much
cheaper and also the soundproofing is excellent due to the 100mm gap
between panes.

but the same thing would happen.

Frequently people condemn wood windows when theyre fairly easy to
repair. If this applies to you, then you can use a decissant in the
cavity to prevent recurrence.

NT

The original wooden frames are deteriorating from the outside, not the
inside. There is practically no condensation on the inside. I think that I
will get my ladder out and try to make good by filling & painting. Paint
has flaked off the sills and the wood is grey in parts, although not
rotten - what's the best treatment?

Terry D.

----
It has removed 1812 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!