Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] tootal2@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default F32T8 bulbs in F40T12 fluorescent fixtures

mc wrote:
We have a kitchen illuminated by 48-inch fluorescent lights above a
translucent suspended ceiling. We are slowly upgrading them to electronic
ballasts and F32T8 bulbs.

In the meantime, here's tonight's discovery:

F32T8 bulbs work fine in F40T12 fixtures. In fact, they even work in
fixtures that are finicky with F40T12 bulbs (presumably because the ballasts
are getting old).

Have others had the same experience? Am I shortening the bulb life, or
anything, by running an F32T8 bulb on a ballast designed for an F40T12? I
know that *theoretically* I may be putting more current through it... in
practice, does it make a difference?

t8s will not work in t12 fixtures. They need a electronic ballasts. I
replaces all my t12s with t8 and new fixtues. The t8s stay brighter
longer and use less power for the same amout of light as the t12.

what i like about the t8s is no humming sound and saves power.