Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Dust Collector Trash Can

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"tdup2" wrote:

I have a Jet 1100 dust collector with a trash can hooked up. The problem
is
the trash can never fills unless I'm planing materials and even then most
of
the chips get sucked into the collector. I'm just using a inexpensive
plastic top on the can. It really creates a cyclone force that brings the
chips from the bottom to the DC collector hose.

Well, I have the observation that I know too much about how it's
supposed to work to buy the plastic top for a regular trash can, as it's
an abysmal screw-up that ignores how it should be built.

SNIP

I've got the trashcan-mounted version similar to the classic Delta Shop
Vacuum you saw in shops before they started calling them dust collectors.
JET still makes one. DC-TS650
http://www.jettools.com/shop/index.c...id=11785&vid=1 It's not a
cyclone, nor is it meant to be. The intake is baffled away from the
impeller opening, and has a J shape to decelerate things as they hit.
Straightening this baffle has the effect of allowing more dust to enter the
bag in mine. It's pretty obvious when things are getting full by the sound
of the stuff hitting the fan, so to speak. PSI sells a unit suitable for
mounting on your own home-built, so give it a thought. Nice to be able to
roll the collector around from machine to machine in a small shop. Quickly
converts to the appropriate pickup device, too.

When used on my drum sander it can get to 50/50 settle and filter, so don't
expect the world, but when sanding on the lathe with much less dust
available, most settles.