Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default French drain help.....

On Apr 17, 1:05 pm, chrisexv6 wrote:
My neighbors yard is higher than my yard by about 3'. His property
slopes away from his house and towards my house. The grading around
my foundation on that side is not correct (i.e. its pretty much level)
so the water from his property ends up against my foundation during a
bad rain (like what we just got in the Northeast).

Aside from correcting the grading at my foundation, I wanted to add a
french drain. It would be about 10' from my foundation, basically at
the low spot between his yard and where the grading from my foundation
would end. I also have 2 downspouts to drain out on that side of the
house, and I figured while I have the Kubota I might as well bury the
downspouts too.

A couple questions......can I use the same trench for the downspout
drainage and the french drain? I would keep them as separate pipes,
but I wasnt sure if the downspout pipe would interfere with the
correct operation of the french drain.

Also, any recommendations on fill material? We have what seems to be
normal soil for the area........definitely little to no clay content.
I was thinking just normal 3/4" gravel from the local stone company.
2 or 3" in the bottom of the trench, followed by 4" drain pipe (was
going to use the PVC stuff, not the black flexible stuff), followed by
enough of the same 3/4" gravel to fill the trench to within 2" of the
yard, followed by a layer of sod so I dont have to look at the gravel
forever.

Does the plan seem OK? I know a lot of people recommend different
fill materials, figured Id ask what everyone thinks.

Thanks!
-Chris

http://www.buildingscienceconsulting...r_basement.pdf