Posted to rec.knives,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech
deowll deowll is offline

Default __measure__ sharpness ?

wrote in message ...
If you cut Anything, you have 'damaged' the edge.

Oooo... that's where knife blades made from all-hard ~65hrc HSS
power hacksaw blades... come into the picture.

Maybe not the sharpest edge obtainable but will sure as heck get
sharp and cut a lot of stuff before you notice much difference.

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/HSSknife.htm

Alvin in AZ

But one poster was right when he pointed out that what is or is not sharp
often depends on what you are cutting and how you are cutting it. Then there
is the issue of fragile... An awful lot of different methods, metals, blade
shapes, etc. do okay but... To some degree I guess each to his own.

It's like what is a good knife or what knife is best for survival? I'd say
the one you have is the best one to use. Some knives may actually be better
at some tasks than others but most are passable at any reasonable task at
least with a little practice. I just hope the user knows how to take care of
it and know how to use it. I also hope the user has been reasonable and
prudent before hand. Prevention beats a mountain of mending.