Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default New condenser, old evaporator

On 17 Apr 2007 17:54:15 -0700, talkinggoat
wrote:

On Apr 17, 4:41 pm, talkinggoat wrote:
i recently had to have the condensing unit changed out, in my home.
the unit is a 3 ton 13 seer amana condenser. i don't know what the
evaporator brand is, but it's about a 10 seer with the same tonnage.
The amana unit is only about 2 months old, but when it runs, sometimes
it squeals, sometimes the fan does not come on, and sometimes it acts
like it's straining to compress the refrigerant. it acted fine, for
about a month, then, one day, i walked outside, the compressor was
running, but the cooling fan was off, and the compressor was
squealing. ever since then, it exhibits the signs above. i had an a/c
tech come out and look at the unit. he advised that the condenser is
too inefficient for the evaporator, and the refrigerant is reaching
the compressor in a liquid state.

now, i know the basics of how refrigeration works, but i'm no expert,
although, i'm a quick study.i do build computers, so i know how to
read a wiring schematic. i noticed that the condenser has a 2 speed
fan, so i had him buy pass the low speed, to make sure that it wasn't
the speed switch. so far, i have not noticed the compressor running
with the fan off, but it has only been a day.

does the guy's theory about liquid refrigerant reaching the compressor
hold "liquid refrigerant" he didn't take any pressure readings from
the lines.

i just spoke to someone regarding this issue, that i know i can trust.
he advised that if the evaporator were not vaporizing the refrigerant,
the compressor would be making a chattering sound, from the valves,
not a squealing sound. he seems to think that it overheated or it is
not getting oiled properly.

the ac tech is trying to say that because the condenser is seer 13 and
the evaporator is seer 10, it is causing problems with the compressor
by not allowing the refrigerant to vaporize.

I know nothing but this doesn't strike me as right. Also that he
didn't make any pressure measurements strikes me as ridiculous.

Combine your first and second posts, and post to alt.hvac or
something like that. I hear they are prima donnas there, but I think
they will like your question.

as far as i know, seer is just a measurement of efficiency, not a
measurement of btu or tonnage, and would not have the same effect as
putting a 4 ton condenser on a 3 ton evaporator, for example. am i
correct in assuming this?

That would be my guess. I have no real idea if we are correct, but I
was thinking just like you are.

I only know one AC, my own, and I don't know it too well, but I'm
pretty sure it is wired so that whenever the compressor is on, the fan
is on too. That is also clear from the wiring diagram that is either
in the papers I have or inside the cover of the compressor box.

my condenser and evaporator are both 3 ton units.

BTW, before you post to alt.hvac, where they don't just answer
everyone, you should learn to capitalize where the rules require it.

A) Not every font makes the difference between a comma and a period
clear, so I had very little idea of what you said in your first, first
paragraph, which I quote below.

B) You look like a blooming, self-centered adolescent idiot who was
too stupid or lazy to learn how to use capitals***, or -- and please
tell me this isn't true -- thinks he is expresssing himself, thinks he
has something worth expressing, by being different or not following
the rules. The rules were created to make text easier to read, and
it's even worse here because you're coming for favors. Don't be a
double jerk.

***In which case, trying to help you with your AC will likely be
futile.

You wrote. afaict, contradicting yourself in the process:
i recently had to have the condensing unit changed out, in my home,
the unit is a 3 ton 13 seer amana condenser, i don't know what the
evaporator brand is, but it's about a 10 seer with the same tonnage,
The amana unit is only about 2 months old, but when it runs, sometimes
it squeals, sometimes the fan does not come on, and sometimes it acts
like it's straining to compress the refrigerant, it acted fine, for
about a month, then, one day, i walked outside, the compressor was
running, but the cooling fan was off, and the compressor was
squealing. ever since then, it exhibits the signs above, i had an a/c
tech come out and look at the unit, he advised that the condenser is
too inefficient for the evaporator, and the refrigerant is reaching
the compressor in a liquid state.

Some of your sentences are too long also