Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Jungle Jim Jungle Jim is offline

Default Rewiring older home

"Alex" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are looking at possibly moving into her mother's old
home, but one of my concerns is the wiring in the house. The home
was built in the early 1950's, and with an older fusebox outside
the house (old screw-in fuses) plus no ground on any power outlets
(two-prong), we're thinking of having the house rewired plus
putting a newer fusebox (with circuit breakers) inside the house.

The house is three bedroom, one bath (about 1200 sq), and there's
about 3-4 outlets per room. Does someone know the approximate
cost we're looking at for such a job? Also, would it be something
I could do to some degree? Possibly running all the wires back to
a central location to have an electrician come in and wire-up the
box with inside lines plus city power?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas ...

Alex

Whatever you do, make sure you get a permit and have the final
product inspected. It usually is minimal extra expense, but if for
some reason you get an electrical fire, your homeowner's insurance
carrier eill have a hard time denying a claim...

A local man did some self wiring, and even thoyugh he followed code,
it was done without permits and inspection. He had an electrical
fire. It was determined that it wasn't his fault, nut insurance
denied his claim. While it was not a catastrophic fire, there ws
property loss and he had to handle it on his own.