Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default mercury in cfl's

Yes there is a small amount in all fluorescent lights. There is less the
1/1000 of an atmosphere pressure of gas in the fluorescent lamp that is
mostly argon with a small amount of mercury vapor. As electrons are
accelerated by the electric field they gain energy (hence the need for low
pressure to give the electrons a chance to travel far enough to gain this
amount of energy, they also need to be able to knock other electrons off of
the gas to keep the process going) and excite the argon atoms which transfer
the energy to the mercury atoms. The mercury gives up the energy as UV
light. The UV strikes the phosphors on the walls of the lamp which convert
the UV to visible light. Different types of phosphors give different types
of lamps their characteristic color. Fortunately this is a fairly efficient
process compared to regular light bulbs.

Hopefully we will have collection places for used fluorescent bulbs so that
the mercury won't go into landfills or incinerators. Even still the amount
of power saved reduces the total mercury pollution if coal is used to
generate the power.

Interestingly a year ago I was in Mexico and noted the extensive used of CFF
bulbs. I believe much of their power is generated with oil which would make
it expensive.

From: "lee houston"
Subject: compact flourescents, mercury hazard?
Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:10 PM

Seems a bit extreme? Mercury hazard and/or yellow jounalism?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213

lee

I'm not sure how much mercury is in these bulbs but here is what and
environmental group says:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...about_merc.php
Mercury toxicity depends on molecule that contains it. If it were that
toxic, all us older people would be dead from all the mercurochrome we
used
to use
Frank