Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default mercury in cfl's

From: "lee houston"
Subject: compact flourescents, mercury hazard?
Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:10 PM

Seems a bit extreme? Mercury hazard and/or yellow jounalism?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213

lee

I'm not sure how much mercury is in these bulbs but here is what and
environmental group says:http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...about_merc.php
Mercury toxicity depends on molecule that contains it. If it were that
toxic, all us older people would be dead from all the mercurochrome we used
to use
Frank

I don't know how much mercury is in those bulbs but am surprised that
there is any at all. From what I understand, mercury is quite
hazardous in the environment and is very hard to get rid of once it's
there.

You are correct to say that everone who is still alive has survived
mercury exposure. Too bad that the argument is weak. Folk who did
not survive are not here to answer your post or to speak to the issue
since they are dead.

I live in Minnesota which has a big mercury problem. It is airborne
from Canadian smokestacks. Ironically, some of our seemingly most
pristine lakes near the border are the most contaminated.

Some lakes have the equivalent of a skull and crossbones at the
lakeside. The warnings are always for little or no consumption of
fish from contaminated lakes for pregnant women and children. Adults
are only to be allowed two servings per week!! Many laugh off the
warnings but mostly they are fisherman and thus, expendable.

So mercury is no joke. I don't know how many have been poisoned but
I'm sure public health officials have an estimate. It is believed to
be under reported. and it is also believed that at least some
poisonings have been attributed to other causes.

For example, many miscarrages have occured where no test was ever made
for lead or mercury. Bottom line: mercury is worth avoiding and these
environmentalist should have taken the issue more seriously before
they promoted the bulbs. I cannot imagine that the bulbs can really
be "green" if they contain this poison.