Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

Default Best tool for making picture frames?

On Apr 17, 3:12 pm, "steve" wrote:
I've been making my own picture frames but the joints are off slightly so I
have to resort to filling the joints and painting.
What would be a good way of making these cuts so the miters would line up
tight enough to be left natural or stained?

I've tried a hand miter box, My 10" power miter saw, my table saw....

So what is the best way to get that cut at exactly 45 degrees.

TIA

Mine improved markedly after I constructed a miter sled like the one
he http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...48543593FmjBVA
There are other sites that will give you step by step instructions,
but the basic principle is that it is (at least for some of us)
difficult to get an exact 45degree cut. The beauty of this jig is
that if you have the two halves of the fence set at 90 degrees to each
other, which is really easy with a reasonably good square, as long as
your blade runs true and cuts fairly smoothly, you are trimming both
halves of the joint at the same time so even if one is 44.8 degrees
the other will be 45.2 degrees and you will get a perfect 90 degree
joint every time. Then as the other poster mentioned you just have to
make sure the two opposite sides are the same length, all four sides
for a square frame, and you're in business. Using a Freud Combo blade
I've never had to sand or use a miter trimmer to get a good tight
joint. Glue ups were however much simpler when I broke down and
bought a Merle adjustable corner clamp from MLCS. It was so helpful I
bought another one a month later. Hope that helps. bc
PS no affiliation to either MLCS or the other web site, just found
them useful...