Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Split Neutral Wiring

According to Larry Caldwell :
In article . com,
(Ben) says...
Are shared neutrals avoided where possible?

Shared neutrals are handy where you need a lot of power in a small area,
like a kitchen. However, they are rarely used nowadays, because a
shared neutral will trip a GFI every time.

I'd put that a different way. Shared neutrals are incompatible with
single pole GFIs. They aren't incompatible with double-pole GFIs, and
single GFIs can be used _after_ you split the neutral.

Shared neutral double pole GFIs would be code here for kitchen counters,
except that they're so bloody expensive. Shared neutral non-GFI _were_ code,
but not anymore.

We've adopted a modified version of the NEC for kitchen counter outlets.
You can still use shared neutral, IF you're willing to pay for the dual
GFIs, but otherwise, you use 20A singles.

I have one split neutral
circuit in my shop to a triple gang box. I split the receptacles from
top to bottom, so half of each receptacle is on a different circuit.
It's a simple way to get 40 amps of 120 volts to one location with one
run.

I have 5 split neutral circuits in my shop ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,