Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A Challenge for the Repair Gurus

On Apr 17, 11:38 am, Mike Berger wrote:
Steel wool shavings -- or zinc coming off the components and
plating? Zinc migration is a real problem in some of that
equipment.

wrote:
Patient: Fisher 700T Solid-state US-made Receiver from the mid-60s.
Source: Vintage Radio Swap-meet, Parsipanny, NJ
Cost: $5 at the afterwards-auction
Discovered Problem: Saturated with steel-wool shavings.
Symptoms: Right channel distorted (I cleaned what I saw, but
discovered that the shavings got as far as transistor sockets), and- Hide quoted text -

Magnetic... steel wool. Anyway, no zinc, lots-O-cadmium. There are
remedies for that which are far easier to apply than to the steel
wool.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA