Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default Smell of urine in carpet

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Change the carpet, and the underlay and disinfect the floor quite a bit
while waiting for the carpet fitter. Not a joke, I recently moved into a
house where one bedroom looked fine but the carpet had been cleaned and
had previously been peed on by a cat. A new carpet was not what I wanted
to buy but any wet cleaning just seemed to activate the smell and it never
died down enough. In the end I ripped the wole lot out but there were
stains and smell in the grippers etc. Only when I had disinfected these
about three times and had a new carpet laid was it OK

Many thanks. However in this case that's not really an option. Cost is a
major consideration.