Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.radio.satellite,sci.engr.electrical.compliance
[email protected] runderwo@mail.win.org is offline

Default GFCI breakers for Al wiring

On Apr 14, 1:55 am, wrote:

GFCIs protect against L-E shocks and shorts, which have nothing to do
with the risk that ali wiring posts. Al oxidises at joints, heats up &
catches fire. A gfci doesnt make the remotest difference to that. An
AFCI however would.

I'm under the impression that current AFCIs don't protect against the
type of arc faults Al joints are prone to.

I'm not installing GFCIs to mitigate the Al risk, it's to mitigate the
general risk of operating electrical devices near water.

I'm not that familiar with US practices, but I dont expect many modern
electrical parts will have al compatible connections.

Switches and outlets do, actually, but GFCI outlets seem to be an
exception.

AFCIs arent perfect, but they do reduce risk quite a lot.

Do you have any references that show currently marketed AFCIs to
reduce the risk of bad Al connections?