Posted to comp.dcom.cabling,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.home.repair,alt.cable-tv,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joe Joe is offline

Default RG-6 QS, top brands?

On Apr 7, 11:14 am, "Ed Nielsen" wrote:
I started using Times when I started in cable in '85. Have used the other 2
aforementioned brands, but still spec Times for our systems.

That tool, as well as three of the ones listed herehttp://www.cencom94.com/gpage.html2.html(CT-FBR, PCT-DRS-CT, &
PCT-DRS-CT-AS), Cable Pro's LCCT-1, and many others fit those fittings.
Only sort of exception in that group of fittings is PPC. They originally
started out with the EX Series, which is about 19mm in length. Then others
started making compression connectors that were 21mm in length, which is
what the majority of them are. A few years ago, AT&T Broadband pushed PPC
into making a 21mm fitting, which they labeled EXXL. PCT also has a
Universal connector (TRS Series) which is a different length.

There are many compression tols out here. The one that I started with
is the Ideal tool. It can be gotten in any Home Depot, but it cost far
more than it's worth. I think it is still about $58, and will only
crimp one size of compression connector. The other tool I bought is
designed like the one you reference above. It has orange handles, and
can crimp RCA, BNC, and all compression connectors. I paid in the mid
$30's for mine, but I've seen them priced as high as the Ideal tool as
well.
Someone at work gave me an old compression tool that was left at there
house by a cable tech many years ago. It is very old and similar to
the Ideal tool, but not as heavy. The tool I have can crimp the short
compression connectors, as well as the long ones My tool is made by
Stern, and says Perma-Seal-II on it. It has a cutter on it, and the
extra dies to make it work with BNC, and RCA are secured to the inside
of the handle by being screwed into the inside edge. It is a great
design.