Posted to alt.home.repair
roland@_____.com roland@_____.com is offline

Default Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

WHy would you put ceramic tile in a kitchen? They're slippery and
when dealing with hot pots and pans and the grease that splashes from
cooking, ceramic sounds dangerous. I used to live in a house with
ceramic on the bathroom floor. I slipped several times. When an
elderly relative fell in there and nearly died from hitting her head
on the tub, I ripped that garbage out of there.

Of course you're selling the place so who cares who falls once you
move, right? But them again, vinyl is cheaper and safer.

On 16 Apr 2007 13:47:47 -0700, wrote:

I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small
kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile.
The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well
stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me
that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the
vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on
this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Thanks!

Mark