Posted to rec.woodworking
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default Festool T55 Plunge Cut Saw Deal Breakers & a Neener

On Apr 17, 12:43 am, "Toller" wrote:
Even if I buy the most expensive raquet in the world, chances are I'm
not going to beat Pete Sampras, nor will I be able to beat Tiger with
the most costly clubs.

No doubt that is true, but it is an inappropriate comparison. You probably
couldn't even use Sampras' raquet or Woods' clubs. They are designed to be
used by experts with perfect form; a non-expert will find them very
unforgiving. After not skiing for a while I couldn't make a turn without
falling on my expert skis; had to go back to my softies to get my form back.

Professional woodworking tools are easier to use, more precise, do things
automatically that are difficult to do otherwise, and more durable. They
won't make an expert woodworker out of you, but they will sure help.

Toller,
I might not have explained my point well enough. I tried to say that a
high quality tool, but not necessarily the most costly is preferable
to the highest cost tool (where the intangible differences are
measured in small increments.)
For a pro who earns his living at ww or that rare woodworker who has
no budget limits, the very top of the line may be worth it.
An aside: There is also the affliction of tool lust. It may take the
most costly to satisfy that itch.
Joe G