Posted to alt.home.repair
GROUP MODERATOR GROUP MODERATOR is offline

Default Rodents & their odor from crawlspace

lime

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
My wife & I have just bought a house in the Seattle area. House is 2
story, about 3000 sq', on a 1 acre very wooded lot. The previous owner
had a problem which I understand is fairly common around here; rodents
(mice &/or rats) in the crawl space. He had a local Terminex address the
infestation, as of last week Terminex claims "no new activity", however
the rodents nested in the insulation between the floor joists, ripping it
up & pulling it down in spots, as well as urinating/defecating/probably a
few dead ones in & around the fiberglass. This is stinking up the space,
which can be smelled in the kitchen area. My plan is to have my own
independent inspector go over the space, make sure all entry points are
closed & that there really are no rodents present, then have the
insulation and other debris removed & new plastic put down. Since we're
heading into the warm months, I thought I'd wait until late summer/early
fall to have new insulation put in, to give the subfloor/joists/etc. a
good time to air out. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this,
and if so what they think of my plan. Any helpful suggestions
appreciated.

TIA

Dan