Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Problem with Generac Transfer switch

The manual I sent handles Generac models up to 16KW. I assume you are
referring to huge models when you refer to such long transfer times. The
longer delay times are intended to prevent intermittent utility power to
cause the generator to toggle / transfer the load back and forth
unnecessarily.

Smarty

"Pete C." wrote in message
mikegold wrote:

On Apr 16, 1:15 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
mikegold wrote:

Just started up my Generac Natural Gas generator for the first time
today.

Transfer switch automatically switched over to generator power as
expected however, when I turned utility power back on the switch did
not transfer back to utility.

I had to open the switch and manually transfer back to the utility
position.

This happened both times I tested.

Any input as to what would prevent the switch from switching back to
utility?

How did you test, by turning off the main utility breaker? How long did
you wait after turning utility power back on? Most transfer switches
have timers and won't transfer back to utility for about 10 minutes
after it comes back to insure it is stable.- Hide quoted text -

Tested two ways...turning off the 70 amp breaker that powers the
transfer switch and the second time turning off the main breaker.

Reasonable ways to test.

What I observed (before opening the transfer case and seeing the
switch still in the generator mode) was that the unit was running in
cool down mode, observed that the basement circuits seemed to be
getting some sort of "trickle" power (lights were dimmed, battery back
up sump pump was running but the two AC pumps also seemed to be
running (but dry, not moving any water).

If you have any sort of "half powered" condition like this it indicates
a serious problem. Get it checked by a competent person ASAP or sooner.
With a properly wired and functioning transfer switch all circuits only
have three possible states, powered properly from utility, powered
properly from the generator or unpowered if the selected source is not
available.

We were told the switch should go back to utility within 30 seconds
once utility power is detected again. It doesn't make sense if it
takes 10 or more minutes then our lights/appliances are not going to
have any power until the transfer switch pops back to utility mode.

Someone else posted info from the manual indicating a 15 second utility
stabilization delay followed by a one minute generator cool down delay.
The big transfer switches typically have longer delays like the 10 min
retransfer I mentioned and longer generator cool down.