Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Frank is offline

Default Electricty to flat: Powercard meter, coin meter, or what?

On 16 Apr 2007 12:49:16 -0700, "Martin Warby"
wrote:

Are there any other possible options? I do not want to go to the
expense of having a second mains supply installed for the first floor
flat by the supply co just yet. However, I may well decide to, in a
year or two, if (a) or (b) above proves problematic/inconvenient for
any reason.

Thank you,

Frank.

well as Colin points out neither A or B is really suitable as it
places a lot of responsability on the ground floor.You could install
your own meter in the ground floor flat,you pay the bill for this,you
then install 1 extra meter for downstairs and 1 for upstairs,you
collect money/sell tokens and then pay the bill.I'm sure there ae also
rules about how much you could charge for electricity when you are
reselling it,

Personally I would think the only long term solution is two supplies
one for each flat each with thier own 'proper' meter

Martin

Thanks for your comments. I agree that a second mains supply is the
best long-term solution. I plan to pay out for that when finances
permit - perhaps next year.

In the meantime, I need to decide on the next-best alternative setup.
I will probably be living in the first floor flat myself, with a
tenant in the ground floor flat, in coming months.

I don't know the actual cost of getting a second mains supply
installed; does anyone here have any idea? I'm guessing it won't be
cheap (£500-ish+?). Modifying the existing wiring, on the other hand,
(e.g, installing coin or card meters) is easy to do.

Frank