Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Unwise to connect 11/4" drain to 11/2" trap?

kc wrote:

I put in a new bathroom faucet. The drain has a 11/4" diamter tail.
The existing trap is 11/2". I was advised by the local hardware store
that to do the job right, everything should be 11/4" and not to use a
reducer in order to attach the 11/2" trap to the 11/4" sink drain.

I didn't think of it at the time, but wouldn't a 11/4" drain going
into a larger 11/2" provide for efficient draining? Or is keeping
everything the same size a good rule of thumb?

The 1 1/2" trap will be just fine.

Depending on the trap material, there is a rubber reducing washer
or a plastic one which the hdwr guy should have in stock.

Jim