Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] emailwaste@gmail.com is offline

Default Sump Pump Without Perimeter Draining?

On Apr 16, 11:12 am, " wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:06?am, Puddin' Man wrote:

On 16 Apr 2007 06:28:40 -0700, wrote:

Hi.

I have a house built around 1979, I do not have the original plans for
the house and cannot get them from my town.
I do not know if I have perimeter drainage under the foundation.

I want to install a sump pump, but would it do any good if there is no
perimeter drainage?

It can, yes.

If I go around 2 feet deep lay some crushed stone and install the sump
pump, would the water find it's way to the pump if it was installed in
one corner of the house? Or do you absolutely need pipes to ensure the
water all flows to the pump spot?

Depends on the speed of precip., composition of ground under house,
etc, etc.

I was thinking of digging in a corner of the house to try and find out
if perimeter draining is installed, but that could be futile. If I do
find piping, there is no gaurantee that it will be in the right spot
to trace out if it carries the water away from the house. However,
there is one corner of the house where it would seem the most logical
spot for it.

Also a question, generally speaking, do ALL houses have perimeter
draining installed? Is that common practice? Was it common practice in
1979 as well?

All houses? I think not.

Not sure what they've done/not-done with perimeter drainage in newer
house construction.

I've got a little brick bungalow in the midwest, built in '54.
Decided on a DIY sump pit/pump w/o drain tiles several years
ago. Placed it near the back wall. Has worked fine, and we've
had some serious precip. but no 3" in 1 day deluges.

I wouldn't dig a sump pit without understanding where -all- the
under-floor facilities (i.e. drain pipes) are located. Recommend
good, solid plastic sump basin from big-box or plumbers supply.

I have some recommended specs, etc.

? Cheers,
? Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
?than the victim."
? ?- Bertrand Russell

over how wide of the basement is water coming in?

are you just trying to dry up a corner, or is water water
everywhere.... and you want to finish the space?- Hide quoted text -

Trying to keep the whole basement dry, and I know that is a tall
order. The corner I will install it in seems to be the wettest corner
when it gets wet...