Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Technics SL-PD827 Needs repaired

Arfa Daily wrote:
"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:cLyTh.49412$_c5.46309@attbi_s22...
Hi!

It is still worth trying to clean the lens. You can't always see dirt on
the
lens, and I've had some players that looked to have clean lenses, but
would
not play a CD until I had finished cleaning the lens.

William

Agreed. It has to be the first move. Now that you've got the lid off,
another try is to spin the disc manually with your finger tip, clockwise
looking from the top. Do this a couple of times as soon as the disc is
loaded into the play position. It's quite common to get bad spots on
Panasonic spindle motors, although I have to say that it's more common on
their DVD players than CD players. Still, I have had bad motors on them more
often than "seldom", but less often than "frequently" - if that makes sense

Arfa

Agreed again. As I said before....

I just did a DVD player (Toshiba) which would not recognize a disk--any
disk. It was given up for a lost cause. Once opened; observed 'no
spin'. A flick of the finger caused the spindle to turn and stop a few
times and the laser to seek. Within a few seconds, all activity stopped
and the display again showed a disk error.

All it took to fix was cleaning the lens. Boom! Just like that,
perfect functioning. (Note...being away from the shop, I had no
cleaning supplies beyond a cotton swab...on a whim I moistened with
clean tap water, which worked a charm.)

Always, always, ALWAYS clean the lens first!

jak