The Natural Philosopher

Default FM Aerial installation Q's

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

As a general comment, DAs for FM use are rarely satisfactory.

Have you any reasoning for that assertion Dave?..

Most good receivers approach the maximum theoretical sensitivity, so
adding untuned gain before them will do no good. Passive splitting works
just as well. You might get a VHF distribution system to work tolerably
well for clock radios on local reception, but that's about all.

Thats true if the front end receiver noise figure is no better than the
boosters which is likley on a decent tuner.. However it is good for crap
radios - as you point out - and does no harm and may overcome
interference pickup in the cable if the local signals are weak.

I tried with and without a 10db booster - no audible difference ona good
tuner - but the 10 db booster does at least feed the 10 coaxial
cables...whereas a passive splittter to do that would have introduced
significant losses.

Of course I could be wrong, but I've yet to actually witness for myself
one that does work as well as without.

I thimk you meant as well with, as without..

I';d say the labgear amp I am using is pretty neutral. Doesn't make it
better, doesn;t make it worse. Its there to buffer and distribute not to
amplify tho.