Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bose Wave Radio 9kHz AM spacing?

On Apr 16, 1:06 am, Esmond Pitt
wrote:
Does anybody know (a) how to *open* a Bose Wave Radio ;-) and (b) how to
make the adjustment above? The unit was bought in the USA where AM
interstation spacing is 5kHz but here it is 9kHz so the AM band is
basically useless. Bose service is probably not an option here.

You will not be able to alter the radio to receive Euro-spacing AM
stations. First, that is masked into the chip, second that chip will
not be on a socket, so changing it and all other adjustments would be
a major PITA. This is assuming you find the chip in the first place.

That being written, there is a simple solution if you *must* have AM
and you *must* use that radio. Ultimately, it will be cheaper as
well.

Obtain a small AM transmitter, I strongly recommend the SSTRAN
AMT-3000 for the purpose. Be sure you tell Phil that you want the US
spacing - he sells it both ways. Then use a cheap tuner to feed the
SSTRAN, use that to feed the Bose. The added advantage is that this
transmitter will cover your entire house with ease, so it need not be
right next to the radio. With some care and an outboard antenna, it
will do a dozen acres or more. At ~US$100, it is a bargain. If your
cheap tuner has FM and long-wave as well, then your Bose can receive
whatever is broadcast locally beyond its otherwise limited capacity.

http://www.sstran.com/

I keep this one and a small FM-stereo transmitter around. With these
two, my modest collection of vintage radios and audio equipment is
digital-proof.

Last question: are you 50uS or 75uS de-emphasis? If you are 50, the
Bose will sound a bit twitchy-chirpy as it is 75.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA