Posted to uk.d-i-y
Perry (News) Perry (News) is offline

Default Makita Circular Saws

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:52:34 +0100, "Me" waxed lyrical
about:

"Perry (News)" wrote in message
.. .
After a recent unfortunate experience with a B&Q Performance Pro
circular saw, I'm in need of a replacement.

I have had a couple of PP items and find that they do go wrong after
occasional use but if you know a bit about repairing things it is usually
something as easy as replacing a faulty set of brushes or repairing a loose
or broken wire to the switch. I have been impressed with what you get for
what it costs for PP tools but you have to realise that the build
quality(assembly) is not going to be great. I would love a full set of top
brand tools but can't justify having £1000+ worth of tools just sitting
about for the odd job.

It was a bit worse than a simple wire fault, the motor decided to sh*t
itself in the middle of cutting a short section of chipboard - bits of
plastic flew out of the ventilation slots on the motor housing, the
whole thing jammed solid, kicked hard in my hands and died. All this
happened so fast that I didn't even have time to release the trigger.
Bit frightening and a hell of an adrenaline rush. I had a quick look
at the motor afterwards and it was a mess - looked as though one of
the motor coils had burst open, don't know if this was cause or effect
though.

When I got it I didn't want to spend too much as I wasn't sure how
much I'd use a circular saw, but it's turned into another 'buy cheap,
buy twice' experience. I've found that it's been useful enough that
I'm willing to spend enough on the replacement to get something that
will last

Perry